[Dirvish] Replacing backup drive

Jim Conger jconger at foobox.com
Sat Jul 14 12:33:59 UTC 2018

On 07/13/2018 11:38 PM, Nathan Hunsperger wrote:
> On 7/13/18 5:55 PM, Jim Conger wrote:
>
>> Use rsync with all the right options to copy pretty much every detail,
>> see man page for rsync, but "rsync -a --stats /mnt/hd/.
>> /mnt/NEWDRIVE/." should do it. Note the trailing /. on the paths, that
>> makes sure you are copying everything in the old to the new, including
>> the permissions of /mnt/hd/. itself.
> Note that rsync -a option does not include -H, which is necessary to
> preserve the hard links Dirvish created.  Without it, the new drive will
> be full before the sync is complete.
>
> -a, --archive               archive mode; equals -rlptgoD (no -H,-A,-X)
>
> I would also recommend -S to ensure any sparse files stay sparse.
> Essential if you have VMs or use docker.  I do not believe Dirvish
> supports ACLs or extended attributes, so options -A and -X should not be
> required, but I always include them to be safe.  I also like to see
> progress, so will usually include -v (or --info=progress2 for newer rsync).
>
> So, the full command I would use is "sudo rsync -aSHAX -v --stats
> /mnt/olddrive/ /mnt/newdrive".  The trailing slash on olddrive is
> required, and will result in the root of the new drive having the same
> attributes as the old drive.

Thank you for the correction.  I misread -a. Done that before and
started filling a drive.  Used the hardlink command a few times.

One more place to check is the master.conf file.  If there are any
rsync-options there that you need for your set up, you may need want
them on the duplicate the backup drive rsync. I checked mine, and I
don't have any.  I did experiment with -c (checksum instead of using
date/time), but that is meaningless for copying to a new drive.

Jim