[Dirvish] steps forward for Dirvish?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Mon Mar 31 20:18:32 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 01:57:20PM -0500, Isaac W Traxler wrote:
> I curently use it as a backup soluton and I am quite happy with it. I have
> extended it:

Great stuff, Isaac!  As you point out, most of us have a stable
solution, and our own tweaks, which would be great to share.  I
maintain dirvish.org, though don't develop the code myself.

I would be glad to help someone move the information on the
current website (and years of backups!) over to sourceforge
and/or github, then transfer the domain ownership.  I'm not
getting any younger.

I started dirvish.org when jwshultz disappeared, and a community
of users has formed around it.  My job is custodial - development
is welcome, but the core functionality must be preserved, because
so many of us depend on it.  For a time, a modified version of
dirvish was backing up kernel.org and mozilla - imagine breaking
THOSE backups.

So, I prefer to pass this on to those who agree to maintain a
trustworthy stable branch as well as develop new capabilities.
Color me cautious.

We want to make install easier for new members of our community,
but most of the setup errors we've seen stem from misunderstanding
the idea of backup, not the admittedly clunky install and wierd
config file formats.

Personally, I would like to see far more capabilities for rapid
recovery - that is when time is most precious.  Maintenance of
backups; deduplicating files, looking for faults, perhaps even
aiding security and rootkit detection.  Preparing for "when not
if" backup drive failure.  Extracting maximum value from the
backups we labored to produce.

Moving forward, compared to merely maintaining, will take more
energy and skill than I have.  But for someone with both, it
will be a praiseworthy task and an accomplishment to brag about.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com