[Dirvish] steps forward for Dirvish?

Peter Michaux petermichaux at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 18:46:59 UTC 2014

Hi,

I've been learning about Dirvish lately as a possible option for my
web server backup needs. Dirvish looks like it can do what I need. My
concern is that Dirvish development has been inactive for so long.
Does Dirvish need or deserve some energy put its way? Are potential
new users better off choosing another rsync-based snapshot solution?

Some things I think might be helpful

* move the Dirvish source code repository to GitHub

* convert Dirvish to a standard CPAN-style module with standard
ExtUtils::MakeMaker or Module::Build install

* make code more reusable by moving as much as possible to Dirvish.pm

* distribute Dirvish over CPAN

Thoughts?

Peter