[Dirvish] Backing up Windows computers

Gibson McNeil Boyle gibsonboyle at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 9 22:24:00 UTC 2014

I have dirvish setup and tested using both ssh (copssh) and rsync (cwRsync). Both utilities are available from www.itefix.no. The setup is backing up a windows folder to a NAS (linux platform). Tests copying files with and without ssh (rsync daemon) were successful.

To overcome the issues associated with rsync while copying open/locked files, I tried out Eric Smith's tb-rsync-vss-32 wrapper. Unfortunately, dirvish returned broken pipes errors using ssh. I used a default.conf file very similar to the example provided in the Bitbucket article.

I shall be grateful to hear about the experience of other users with this tb-rsync-vss utility..
1. Is it necessary that I must use cygwin, sshd and rsync instead of copssh and cwRsync?
2. If the tb-rsync-vss utility and its convoluted parameters is a logical replacement for rsync, should it not be useable in all cases where rsync is used including when run as a daemon in a secure network possibly with the addition of an extra colon at the beginning of the tree string in the default.conf file?

Thank you in advance

Gibson