[Dirvish] hardlink command

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 11 10:53:15 UTC 2013

Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Tue 10 Sep 2013, Vortex wrote:
>> I suppose that dirvish only links identical files across images, NOT
>> multiples inside the same image. For that, hardlink may be useful.
>
> That's where the concept of branches come in.
> - make a backup of a vanilla installation
> - branch that to backups of specific servers, that are based on that
>   vanilla installation.

I've never used branches, so I have an idle curiosity question :)

If I do as you suggest and set up two branches for two identical servers
and then there is an update to say the kernel, do I get two copies of
the new kernel, one in each branch, or does it somehow know to link
them? Presumably there would be two new initrd files although the binary
contents might be the same?

I have to say, I've always thought of system images as being small
enough that I don't worry about sharing backup space for them, but then
I don't look after a few thousand servers or anything.