[Dirvish] hardlink command

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 6 09:17:48 UTC 2013

Tamas Papp wrote:
> On 09/06/2013 02:52 AM, Isaac W Traxler wrote:
>> First, I am a happy user of dirvish. It has really made my life better.
>>
>> Why not run the hardlink command as part of the post of dirvish?
>>
>> Every once in a while I run the hardlink command against hte file systems
>> and it always finds some (sometimes a lot of files). I learned to do this
>> as the last step in mirroring Linux distros.
>
> Can you elaborate this? I'm not sure, I understand, what you mean.

I take it that Isaac is referring to:

http://linux.die.net/man/1/hardlink

I'd never heard of it (learn something every day :) but it seems like
faster-dupemerge. I don't know the pros and cons of hardlink specifically.

I suppose that it should not be necessary to run hardlink after dirvish,
in theory. dirvish uses rsync and instructs it to make hard links
between the backups. Any dupes in the original data are better fixed by
running hardlink or similar on the original data, not the backup.

So I guess I too am saying to Isaac, please can you elaborate? Under
what circumstances do you find duplicate, unlinked files in the dirvish
backup?

Cheers, Dave