[Dirvish] Using filesystem snapshots before backup?

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Tue Jul 2 11:18:07 UTC 2013

On 7/1/2013 7:43 AM, Joe Emenaker wrote:

> Some of the rsync_error files in my vault have "file has vanished"
> messages. Also, even without files *vanishing*, there's the issue of
> files changing during the backup.
>
> However, LVM and some individual file-systems support "snapshotting"
> the filesystem. It seems that it should be straightforward to
> configure Dirvish to accomodate this (just changing the root path
> which Dirvish starts from to point to wherever you're going to mount
> your filesystem snapshot, and then wrap the daily Dirvish cron script
> inside of commands which create, mount, and then release the snapshot).
>
> It looks like it should be possible to do this with an *already
> existing* dirvish vault.
>
> Has anybody already tried this? Are there some pitfalls I'm not seeing?

Yes, it's one of the main reasons I use LVM. I have a regular script
that is run from cron and uses ssh to connect to each server needing a
backup, drops the old LVM snapshot, and creates a new LVM snapshot. All
the snapshots are created close together before dirvish starts the
actual backup. I leave the LVM snapshot in place so that users can
restore a file from the previous day's snapshot without bothering me
(hopefully) to load an old backup. The script also mounts a
LUKS-encrypted, USB-3.0 volume before starting the backup and un-mounts
it afterwards. I should probably post my script someone at some point.

> - Joe

Loren M. Lang
lorenl at alzatex.com
http://www.alzatex.com/

Fingerprint: 10A0 7AE2 DAF5 4780 888A  3FA4 DCEE BB39 7654 DE5B