[Dirvish] Any ideas for improving the front-end?

Joe Emenaker joe at emenaker.com
Mon Jul 1 17:26:21 UTC 2013

Having played with dirvish-locate a bit, I found myself becoming
impatient with waiting for it to list the files I was after. It dawned
on me that there might be some value in creating some kind of "indexer"
which would scan through the dirvish vaults and build/maintain a
database of all of the files and their metadata to make dirvish-locate
run faster.

But the possibilities go further than that. It would be nice to be able
to run some command and see all of the changes for a directory (a little
like "git status", say). Maybe to see what has changed since the last
backup *as well as* being able to specify a date in the past and see all
of the files which have been changed since then. Has there been any
discussion about developing a set of tools to expand the ability to
query the vaults?

And, while I'm on the topic, I've noticed that, at the back-end, Dirvish
seems to be a *lot* like Apple's "Time Machine". Has there been any talk
about maybe making a GUI front-end to Dirvish for KDE or Gnome?

- Joe