[Dirvish] HOW TO: back up your Synology DS with dirvish without ssh (saving cpu power in secure networks)

Arno Wald arno.wald at netcologne.de
Wed Jan 2 21:38:33 UTC 2013

On 02.01.2013 20:55, Vortex wrote:
> http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=45648#p175134
>
> Its a tutorial I wrote some time ago about connecting to the DS via the
> rsync daemon directly without using the cpu-hungry ssh in an closed
> network like a home LAN, where transfer encryption isn't neccessary.

Thank you for this howto. It is very interesting. Indeed the transfer
via ssh is very slow, also with the DS213+. As first step I will test
the entry

rsh: ssh -c blowfish

in the default.config. Maybe this speeds things up already. If it is not
fast enough I will check out the direct rsync way.

> There is a bonus part in the text about setting up the dirvish's
> default.conf to use rsync without ssh (I'm using dirvish for backups
> *from* my NAS instead of to it).

This is the way I am using dirvish, too: Backup the NAS to an external
drive via the Linux PC.

> If such information isn't welcome here, just tell me. O:)

I welcome it very much.

Greetings,
Arno