[Dirvish] Dirvish and Strato Hi-Drive?

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Mon Jan 16 21:01:41 UTC 2012

On 1/4/2012 1:28 AM, madworm_de.dirvish at spitzenpfeil.org wrote:
> If it supports rsync with ssh transport, you should at least be able to duplicate/push your local backup to their site, once the local backup is
> complete. I do the reverse with my webserver, pulling its backups to my local removable disk. But I guess you'd like to immediately store the backup
> to a remote site.
>
> I don't know if dirvish natively supports vaults on remote hosts. And I also don't know if this service can be mounted with 'sshfs' to a local
> directory (which could then be used with dirvish). But as SCP is supposed to work... maybe ;-)

A quick reminder about using any rsync-based backup solution is that
rsync is only beneficial if rsync is used as the network transport.
When using Dirvish or any other rsync-based backup solution to backup to
a network filesystem including, but not limited to, NFS, CIFS/SMB,
SSHFS, SCP and AFS, you loose the benefit of rsync's rolling checksums
to compare individual pieces.  Instead, when using a network filesystem,
if it appears that a file might be modified, the entire file is
transmitted across the wire, not just the small chunk that has been
modified.  Rsync is designed to be run with a daemon on the remote side
that can communicate with the client-side rsync command that is run.
SSH is used to invoke and communicate with that daemon, but it only
works if rsync is installed on both sides and rsync or ssh is use to
invoke it, scp nor sftp count as they are their own file transfer protocol.

As for the original question, Dirvish is designed to be run on the
computer storing the backup, not on the computer being backed up (which
merely needs rsync installed.)  An alternative that I recommend and has
already been suggested in this thread is to use Dirvish locally and
rsync the local vault to your off-site storage provider.  You can use
dirvish-expire to expire older backups, but still keep them on the
remote site as long as you don't use --delete with rsync.  This will
give you fast access to recent backups, but slower access to all
backups.  You can manually expire older backups on your storage provider
by just deleting the images as you desire.