[Dirvish] large memory footprint

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 18:09:00 UTC 2012

'free' output is not really very good indication. I think you should
subtract the unused buffer space (13945).
I think what's happening is that the dirvish run reads a lot of data
from the disk and uses up 13GB of buffer space, which is still 'hot'
after dirvish terminates---the system has no way of knowing that you
won't need that again soon, so it's not discarded right away,  but
will be dropped as soon as the buffer space is needed.

cat /proc/meminfo  is a better, more detailed summary of what's in your memory.