[Dirvish] New Backup Drive Setup Still Needs Attention

Michael Richardson michaelr at catalyst.net.nz
Mon Aug 20 20:55:27 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 21 August 2012 08:36:07 Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Aug 2012, Michael Richardson wrote:
> > Those errors actually suggest that Dirvish is failing to log into salmo
> > via SSH (for rsync over SSH).  If this is actually localhost, then you
> > will want to avoid that entirely; if a remote host, then the
> > authorized_keys, ~.ssh permissions and possibly forced_commands should be
> > checked.
>
> Michael,
>
>    salmo is localhost; the backup drive is on a USB2 cable attached to it.
> And root is not allowed to connect to salmo via ssh.
>
>    I don't remember how I specified the server to be backed up in each
> vault's default.conf on the failed drive. Should I change that from the
> non-world-addressable 192.168.55.1 to localhost?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

If I've understood you correctly, you're essentially backing up the local
machine to a removable drive attached to that same server.

Most likely, you will want to leave it as it is.  However, check that the
output of `hostname` matches what you've put in the default.conf as the
client: entry, and likely leave out any rsync: ssh options.

Cheers,
Michael