[Dirvish] Init fails on one partition, the largest

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Aug 17 20:44:32 UTC 2012

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> "Brand New", or possibly a factory refurb?

Keith,

   Whatever Western Digital sends as a warranty replacement for a failed
drive.

> We're off in low probability land, but the power supply, disk controller,
> or cabling could be itnermittent.  Here in Oregon the outside temperatures
> are approaching 38C, but I assume the machine is cool, the fans are
> working and not choked with dust, and your air conditioner is not sagging
> the power line.

   Air conditioning? Here in Troutdale that means the windows are open and
the occasional breeze comes in. I do have a box fan blowing this way. The
temperature at the weather underground station abou 2 km east of here is
30.7C.

> A common computer power supply failure mode is a failing (low value)
> filter capacitor on one of the DC outputs.  The result can be a high
> frequency voltage ripple on the output, which can cause intermittents
> during high activity on the drive. A DC voltmeter probably won't show the
> ripple, you need an oscilloscope.

   The backup drive is powered by its own wall wart.

> Lacking that, try the drive with a different machine and different
> cabling.  Or bring it in to the Linux Clinic on Sunday.

   I'll see what's on the drive tomorrow and Sunday mornings. Since I'm no
longer getting completion messages from dirvish I'll look at each vault's
log file.

Rich