[Dirvish] Init fails on one partition, the largest

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Fri Aug 17 20:31:14 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 11:39:09AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    All right. I commented those out and re-initiated the vaults that showed
> errors (after removing the existing images). This all worked fine (without a
> completion message being mailed to me by dirvish) until I tried to
> re-initialize salmo-home/. Now I'm getting an input/output error on a brand
> new hard drive. Sigh. Can't do a directory listing or the backup
> initialzation.

"Brand New", or possibly a factory refurb?

We're off in low probability land, but the power supply, disk
controller, or cabling could be itnermittent.  Here in Oregon
the outside temperatures are approaching 38C, but I assume the
machine is cool, the fans are working and not choked with dust,
and your air conditioner is not sagging the power line.

A common computer power supply failure mode is a failing (low
value) filter capacitor on one of the DC outputs.  The result
can be a high frequency voltage ripple on the output, which
can cause intermittents during high activity on the drive.
A DC voltmeter probably won't show the ripple, you need an
oscilloscope.

Lacking that, try the drive with a different machine and
different cabling.  Or bring it in to the Linux Clinic on
Sunday.