[Dirvish] Explanation Needed of Error Message -- Update

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Fri Aug 17 11:33:23 UTC 2012

On Thu 16 Aug 2012, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2012, Paul Slootman wrote:
>
> > Then initialize it with dirvish --init --vault whatever
>
> Paul,
>
>    When I cd to /media/hd0/salmo-root/dirvish/ and enter the command,
> dirvish --init --vault salmo-root, it ran for a couple of hours before I
> killed the process. Filled 136G on the new drive. But, I don't see any files
> in any of the vaults.

If you kill it, dirvish cleans up what it was doing. So no wonder you
don't see any data, you just wasted a couple of hours...

So how big is the system you're backing up?  If that 136G is too much,
then something's not configured right. If it's not yet enough, then you
didn't let it run long enough.

The --init tells dirvish to create an initial image of whatever you're
backing up. Consequent runs of dirvish always use the previous image as
a reference to find what to backup incrementally. Hence it always needs
an existing image, and that's what you're creating with --init.

>    When I cd to /root and run the command, 'dirvish --vault 192.168.55.1
> --init' (as on the HOWTO page), I see that dirvish cannot open the
> default.conf file: 'cannot open config file: default.conf'.

You're telling dirvish you have a vault called 192.168.55.1. Do you?
Probably not. Hence it can't find the default.conf that should belong to
that vault called 192.168.55.1.

Paul