[Dirvish] Question about UIDs and GIDs

Joe Aquilina joe_linux at westnet.com.au
Wed Aug 15 03:21:45 UTC 2012

Hello all.

I am relatively new to Linux and even more so to Dirvish. I have
inherited the admin of a system where some of our machines are backed
up nightly via dirvish to a central server. The current system has
been in place for some years and I am just beginning to learn about
how it all works. We haven't yet had to restore anything yet which is
good because I am not yet sure of exactly how to do that.
Experimenting with that on another computer as I type here...

My question relates to UIDs and GIDs of user accounts on the systems
being backed up. On these systems, there a number of users, some of
which are duplicated across the various machines, usually with
different UIDs and/or GIDs on the various machines. These are also
different to the IDs used on the corresponding accounts on the backup server.

When I look at the backups on the server after they complete, the
directories &files have the UIDs and GIDS for the accounts as they
exist on the backup server. These correspond to the numeric IDS from
the machines that have been backed up.

For example, there may be an account called joe, in group joe on a
machine to be backed up with a UID of 1002 and a GID of 1003. When
the backup completes, and I check it, everything has an owner for
example of central and a group of vince. These correspond to accounts
on the backup server of central with a UID of 1002 and a GID of 1003.
Hope this makes sense.

Does this matter? Is there going to be a problem if I restore the
files back to the original machine? Will the UID & GID revert back to
joe when the restore is done? Do I need to change anything on the
system(s) for future backup runs to avoid this?

Do you need any more information (e.g. contents of master.conf,
default.conf, rsync command for the backup or anything else) to be
able to assist with this query?

I am hoping I am worrying about nothing but I don't fully understand
dirvish yet so am a bit apprehensive about changing anything (and
shudder at the thought of possibly having to change all the UIDs and
GIDS on the various machines and then changing all the files!) I have
other dirvish questions but will follow up with those if I can't work
out an answer for myself. Thanks in advance.

Joe Aquilina