[Dirvish] Opps... out of iNodes...

Isaac W Traxler traxler at lsu.edu
Tue Aug 14 01:50:23 UTC 2012

Our solution is to use a separate LVM for each dirvsh backup.

We have a little script that adds a machine to the dirvish config and
automatically creates the LVM.

Every once in a while we run into an inode problem (we have a script that
shows both space and inodes for a df).

When I encounter one of those machines with lots of little files, I simply
create a new LVM, rsync over all the data, delete the old LVM and rename
the new LVM and all goes on.

I have had to do this 3 times out of 56 (so far). We start with a fairly
small initial parition and grow it slowly so we can discover inode running
out instead of space early on (before it takes to long ot rsync).

I run a monitoring program (xymon) that checks for file systems that are
filling up. SO each morning, I look to see who has passed the 80%
threshhold and deal with it.

With 56 file systems (currently) about once or twice a week I get to
increase a file system (a simple script to do this for ext3). I could do
it a lot less often by simply increasing 3 or 4 of the file systems by a
bigger amount, but I like keeping an eye on it (easier to see an atypical
growth).

--
Isaac Traxler                             AIX,Linux Admin
Louisiana State University                traxler at lsu.edu
High Performance Computing                225-578-1923
LONI AIX Clusters
AIX, Linux Support