[Dirvish] expiry rules

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 17 10:37:04 UTC 2011

Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Wed 16 Mar 2011, Jon Radel wrote:
>> I really don't see any way for dirvish to fix this without recognizing
>> that an "event" has happened and adjusting expiration dates to
>> compensate.

I don't see what's wrong with the policy of "never delete the most
recent successful backup". That doesn't require any mind reading or
additional detection of faults.

> The question I'm asking myself is how much administrative policy do you
> want to program into dirvish.
>
> Once you've set up dirvish to do its work, and have considered that you
> want to keep some images for longer than other images, then you should
> also be smart enough to realize that if you start getting daily emails
> that backups are failing, then you should also realize that you should
> take precautions to prevent the last successful backup from expiring.
>
> In other words, if you're smart enough to set up different expiry rules,
> you should also be smart enough to work around dirvish's cleaning up of
> expired images when the need arises.

Agreed.

> Of course, if someone wants to code something up for this situation,
> I'd not have any problems with such a feature; as long as it's well
> documented (and perhaps made optional?).

dirvish-expire has the merit of being a fairly small and independent
program, apart from the cut-and-pasted loadconfig.pl code that should
really be a module. I plan to write a patch for it that will provide an
option for the behaviour I describe above, based on my initial
assessment that it should be fairly simple.

Of course that begs the whole question of how to test it ... ?

Cheers, Dave