[Dirvish] expiry rules

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 16 10:21:03 UTC 2011

Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-03-15 at 20:04 -0400, Dale Amon wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 10:27:28PM +0100, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
>>> Is there any way to achieve what I want, or is just not how dirvish
>>> works ?
>> I recommend setting your expire rules to keep one
>> 'never' expire per month or whatever interval pleases
>> you.
>
> Hi Dale,
>
> thanks for answering.
>
> I thought the third rule I use:
>
> # backup made first saturday of each quarter is kept forever
>         *   *     1-7 1,4,7,10  sat    never
>
> Is a 'never' expire rule to keep one every three months.  Is my rule
> wrong, or is it just not being handled by dirvish the way I expect ?

I think there's a couple of things going on.

Firstly, the list of expirations you gave in your first message included
expiry periods that are not in your ruleset. That implies that the
ruleset you showed us is not the ruleset that was used when the images
were created. So I think you've changed something, and that will
obviously affect what happens.

> My suspicion is that, if for whatever reason I simply don't have a
> successful backup that was made on the first saturday of a quarter,

Secondly, you should go and look at the summary file of all your images
and see what they actually contain for the expiry time and the rule that
was applied. Then you will facts to base your judgments on instead of
speculation. (There's no need to view every file. You can use grep to
find all those lines at once)

Third, I think you're misunderstanding the implications of how
dirvish/rsync works. Because it uses hard links, you really only have
one backup copy anyway. So any warm fuzzy feeling you get from "having
more than one copy" is illusory. If you want more than one physical
copy, you need multiple dirvish vaults for each backup or some other
method of making physical copies. So what you'd like dirvish to do
strikes me as pointless.

Cheers, Dave