[Dirvish] migrating to Dirvish

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 1 09:13:43 UTC 2011

shouldbe q931 wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 10:13 PM, Eric Searcy <emsearcy at gmail.com
> <mailto:emsearcy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On May 30, 2011, at 9:04 AM, shouldbe q931 wrote:
>
>     > I tried to "cheat" by initially only setting up the default.conf
>     to only copy one small subdirectory on the main server, then after
>     it had finished, changing the default.comf to be fule full file set,
>     then going into /tree and doing an "rm-rf *", then doing a "cp -alR
>     /RAID/backups/current/* /RAID/Snapshots/main-server/<date>/tree/"
>     which created a pure "hard link" backup set, but when I then ran
>     "dervish --vault main-server" after the initial "receiving file
>     list" it then started to transfer files rather than create another
>     "hard link" <date>/tree set.
>
>     Seems like a reasonable strategy.  Perhaps try checking out the
>     rsync command listed in the `summary' file of the non-init (second)
>     run.  Run that interactively in dry-run with three or four -v's to
>     see why it's copying files you think it should be skipping.
>
> I didn't realise that adding multiple v's would increase the verbosity
> I'll see how it goes.

As Eric suggests, the problem is almost certainly something to do with
rsync. It can be quite picky about what has changed and what has not; a
close read of the man page can pay off. Filesystem type and option
settings are worth checking.

It may also be worth noting that it's pretty easy to set up a bogus
directory tree somewhere and then make a bogus vault somewhere well away
from your existing backups. That may reduce the risks of any accidental
damage as well as allowing test runs to complete more quickly!

Cheers, Dave