[Dirvish] moved dirvish wiki from kwiki to moin

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Jan 26 03:35:14 UTC 2011

Administrivia:

After a few years of increasing wikispam, I changed the dirvish wiki
from Kwiki Wiki to MoinMoin , migrating about 150 pages of content,
mostly manually.

If you have any content on the wiki that you care about, you might
want to check it, especially attachments and code formatting.  The
old Kwiki site is temporarily at http://p.dirvish.org/, and I have
daily backups forever, but the kwiki goes away soon.  Feh.

Moin has much more capability than Kwiki, is actively maintained, etc.
I've used it for three other virtual sites for years, with cool stuff
like math markup, embedded latex, videos, etc.  I can turn some of
that on for the dirvish site if needed.

There are a few things kwiki does that moin does not, but I did my
best to fake around them.

-------

ISSUE with reading the wiki:

Kwiki has a clumsy URL format ... to access the page FooBar the
URL would be  http://wiki.dirvish.org/index.cgi?FooBar .  The
URL for page attachments is too nasty to think about.

MoinMoin URL for the page FooBar is http://wiki.dirvish.org/FooBar .
However, old links to wiki pages will still expect index.cgi and a
GET field, so I translate those to the new format with this added
kludge in the dirvish VirtualHost stanza in httpd.conf:

   RewriteEngine on

   RewriteRule   ^/moin_static182/ -  [last]

+  RewriteRule   ^/?index.cgi                                   \
+     /home/www/dirvish/moin/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/%{QUERY_STRING}   \
+        [last,type=application/x-httpd-cgi]

   RewriteRule   ^/?(.*)                                        \
      /home/www/dirvish/moin/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/$1                \
         [last,type=application/x-httpd-cgi]

This is my first attempt to understand apache mod_rewrite, so I imagine
there is a better way.  Please enlighten me via private email.

-------

ISSUES with writing to the wiki:
1)  You will need to create a user account and password.  That comes
    with lots of new features like email notification of changes.

2)  The new "text captcha" system will ask you a question before it
    will write the page.  A typical question is "what animal goes oink?"
    with an expected answer of "pig" or "sow"

2a) These questions and answers are too english-oriented.  In France,
    what goes groin groin is a cochon.   If you have a better list of
    questions with unambiguous answers, which a bot can't easily
    figure out, please email them to me.

-------

Well, enjoy your new wiki.  I spent most of the weekend, and the early
part of the last two evenings, making the conversions.  I hope to have
kwiki (and the wikispammers who use it) off my server soon.