[Dirvish] Backup Drive Failure

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 18:34:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 1:52 PM,  <madworm_de.dirvish at spitzenpfeil.org> wrote:
> On 04.11.2010 18:41, Dale Amon wrote:
>> I've had USB connected drives appear to be failing
>> but then work fine after powering down and reconnecting
>> them.

Could happen...

>> I've also had a drive that did not have good enough
>> air flow and appeared to have failed... but after I
>> got another cooling fan in the enclosure it worked
>> fine and the 'bad' sectors even went away.
> And you dare use it as a backup drive?
>
> 'Self-healing' bad sector errors... but maybe I'm just paranoid. Do SATA drives do bad sector remapping, and do they do it well? Who knows...

Certainly they do. I recommend checking the SMART firmware status by
running smartctl -a /dev/sdd or skdump /dev/sdd
On more recent kernels they can interrogate most disks across the USB
bus as well as the standard ATA-attached disks.
Look for Reallocated_Sector_Ct and especially Current_Pending_Sector :
the former shows hard errors that were recovered by replacing the bad
sector by a spare; the latter shows presently occurring errors that
could not yet be repaired.