[Dirvish] Backup Drive Failure

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 4 13:48:58 UTC 2010

Jenny Hopkins wrote:
> On 4 November 2010 13:30, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>
>>   I have the invoice here: purchased 2 December 2009. It's a WD drive so
>> certainly still under warranty.
>>

> Funnily enough, I have had TWO WD 500GB drives used for back-up
> storage fail in the last 12 months.   Housed internally, developed i/o
> errors.  They were replaced under warranty.

I have a 1.5 TB one bought earlier this year that fails under heavy load
but not in such a way that their software detects the fault. So no
replacement. Another reason I'm down on WD at the moment as well as
their cavalier disregard for specs.

> Now I'll need to figure out again how to format and structure the
> replacement. I tend to dump such knowledge once the job's done and I
> don't need it in the grey matter RAM any longer.

I use a wiki to record such things - the actual command sequences, URL
to useful pages and such like. Of course it depends on having another
machine that hasn't failed and that is still running the wiki ...

Cheers, Dave