[Dirvish] Trying to get a file adopted by dirvish (but slipped in via sneakernet)

Jedd Rashbrooke jedd.rashbrooke at digitalmail.com
Wed Jun 9 12:10:11 UTC 2010

On 2010-06-09 11:38:51 Paul Slootman wrote:
> Placing the new file in the latest image (in the right location!) before
> running dirvish should do the job. I suspect that the metadata of the
> file differs somehow from the original, getting changed perhaps when
> transferring to the USB drive.  The attributes that are important are:

 This is reassuring (in that it matches my expectations).

 I'd done some experiments this morning, and have tried wrapping
 the file up in a tarball (don't know why I didn't think of this
 yesterday - too much faith in scp -pr I guess).

 I've now had some success, though I had to change the owner
 back to the right numeric (one box isn't on LDAP unfortunately)
 owner, after I untar'd . . . but I'm sure I checked uid/gid yesterday.

 I'm assuming that mtime is the only time rsync cares about?  I might
 have had a problem, though I don't see how, with TZ's - it's an
 Ubuntu -> Debian server transfer, but one is set to UTC the other
 to BST (ie. UTC+1 at the moment).

 Thanks for the heads up on --numeric-owner / --same-permissions
 I rarely go more complex than cfz with my tarring, but expect I'll
 have to start writing some scripts around this stuff.

 Thanks again for your help.

 Jedd.