[Dirvish] dirvish, pink ponies and duplicity

Richard dirvish at rain4us.net
Tue Jan 26 16:43:58 UTC 2010

Noel Kelly wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> <snip>Duplicity makes a full backup and then adds the incremental ones on top.  Every week or so you have to make a new full backup which means transferring your entire dataset to the offsite server again. <snip>
>
> So Dirvish is my choice and I too am still working out the best way to get encrypted Dirvish-style backups stored remotely without using encrypted filesystems.

Okay, what about this for a thought:  an encrypted tar

What IF an encrypted tar file was made and then that encrypted tar file
was rsync'ed to the remote location?  What gets transferred?  The whole
file or just the parts of the new tar that are different?

If rsync only transfers the deltas between the two encrypted tar files
then one could have efficient bandwidth transfers of backups AND dirvish
would provide the ability to have revisions.

I know that a truecrypt volume could be unmounted and the truecrypt file
rsync'ed, but what about encrypted tar files?? Would the same be true?

The next question would be -- isn't there a project out there that
mounts encrypted tars as a filesystem?

--
Richard