[Dirvish] How to keep monthly backups

Richard dirvish at rain4us.net
Mon Jan 25 15:25:04 UTC 2010

Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Mon 25 Jan 2010, Richard wrote:
>
>> *How would one retain monthly backups from the LAST day of each month?  Not all months have 31 days.
>>

> #       MIN     HR      DOM     MON     DOW    STRFTIME_FMT
>          *      *        31      *       *      +1 year
>          *      *        30     4,6,9,11 *      +1 year
>          *      *        28      2       *      +1 year
>
> Ignoring leap years for simplicity :-)

That is brilliant!  Thanks!

>> *How exactly does one specify the FIRST Sunday of each month?  Is it:
>> <snip the 'not it' example>
>>
> No, it's:
>              *       *      1-7      *       1     +1 year

OH, I get it no.  (where Day of Month - 1-7 AND Day of Week =
1(sunday).  Nice!

>> *In 'man dirvish.conf' the example for expire-rule contained this statement:  "...the remaining nightlies are kept for 5 weeks."  I was unable to find that in the example provided in my man page (which I suppose I should paste here.)
>> <snip the incomplete paste>
> The "5 weeks" rule is the:
>
> expire-default: +5 weeks
>
> line, which you omitted from your paste :-)

Oh!  right!    expire-default !! /facepalm  I was so wrapped up in the
forest of expire-rule I didn't see the trees!

Does this mean I get disqualified for the pink pony?  I'll wait for Dave
to weigh in on that.

Oh. and just a quick re-iteration of an important point.  These rules
won't expire your backups.  They only flag them for  dirvish-expire.
You still have to run dirvish-expire.

--
Richard