[Dirvish] How to keep monthly backups

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Mon Jan 25 15:01:08 UTC 2010

On Mon 25 Jan 2010, Richard wrote:

> *How would one retain monthly backups from the LAST day of each month?  Not all months have 31 days.

#       MIN     HR      DOM     MON     DOW    STRFTIME_FMT
         *      *        31      *       *      +1 year
         *      *        30     4,6,9,11 *      +1 year
         *      *        28      2       *      +1 year

Ignoring leap years for simplicity :-)

> *How exactly does one specify the FIRST Sunday of each month?  Is it:
> > #       MIN     HR      DOM     MON     DOW    STRFTIME_FMT
> >          *       *       1       *       1     +1 year

No, it's:
             *       *      1-7      *       1     +1 year

> *In 'man dirvish.conf' the example for expire-rule contained this statement:  "...the remaining nightlies are kept for 5 weeks."  I was unable to find that in the example provided in my man page (which I suppose I should paste here.)
>
>             #MIN  HR    DOM   MON         DOW   EXPIRE
>             *     *     *     *           1     +3 months
>             *     *     1-7   *           su    +1 year
>             *     *     1-7   1,4,7,10    1     never
>             *     10-20 *     *           *     +10 days

The "5 weeks" rule is the:

expire-default: +5 weeks

line, which you omitted from your paste :-)

Paul