[Dirvish] Multiple banks and multiple dirvish instances

hanj mailing at astarna.com
Wed Feb 24 15:29:58 UTC 2010

Hello

I'm currently running dirvish on 'backup' linux box on my network. On
that box there are multiple banks and things are backing up nicely (5
weeks of images / vault).

What I need to do is create a separate backup that backs up once per
month and expires after one year. So, I still want my 5 week backups on
various servers. Nothing changes there. But I'm trying to create a
yearly bank where I'm backing up the same same servers once a month and
expiring after one year. So those vaults will only have 12 images for
each server.

I was thinking of adding something to /etc/cron.monthly, but I'm having
trouble telling dirvish to use a different master.conf where bank and
vault options are. It seems to always reference
my /etc/dirvish.master.conf even if I supply a different config.

dirvish --init --vault server1 -config /etc/dirvish/master-monthly.conf

I always get server1:default:20100224: Error: image 2010224 already
exists in /bank/server1

It's referring to /bank which is in /etc/dirvish/master.conf, not my
monthly. My yearly bank is elsewhere. I feel like there is a really
easy way of doing this, so I thought I should stop and ask first.

thanks!
hanji