[Dirvish] Hard Drive Dock

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Mar 15 02:58:24 UTC 2009

I bought a new toy for $40 at Frys:

http://wiki.dirvish.org/index.cgi?DriveDock

This is a Vantec NST-D100U external dock for a bare 3.5 inch (or
allegedly a 2.5 inch) SATA drive, which plugs into a slot on the
top.  It has its own power supply, and connects via ESATA or USB2
to the host computer.  I tried it out with a 1.5TB (1500GB!!)
Seagate (which were $125 at Frys), connected (with the supplied
cable) to an ESATA socket on the back of my backup server.  Since
it is a straight ESATA connection, there are no Linux compatability
issues.  I don't know if the USB2 connection works.

It has a power button on the front, permitting hot swapping.
I will use it for backup hard drives for dirvish.   I rotate
drives in succession into a fire resistant safe, and this will
be facilitate that as long as I don't drop the drives.  Fry's
also had "protector sleeves" for bare hard drives, which pad
the sides and corners of the drive, but these do not fit into
the top slot on the Vantec.

I'm not sure about long term reliability - it is cheaply made,
and the plating may wear off the SATA connector.  There were some
complaints on the Newegg customer reviews, though most reviews
were positive.   My drive formatted and stored at least a few
gigabytes OK, so time will tell.