[Dirvish] performance issues with dirvish

Quentin Hartman qhartman at concentricsky.com
Mon Mar 2 23:16:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 23:02 +0100, Frederik Braun wrote:
> Hello again,
> I found out that running dirvish(rsync) on my NAS will exceed
> limits(especially available memory). An option would be inverting the
> common process: Running dirvish on my workstation and thus *pushing* the
> files to the vault.
> I'm afraid there's no official way to do this with dirvish, so I'd be
> flattered if you could point out some recommendations - although we're
> heading towards off-topic :)

I historically have preferred "push" backups and when I started using
dirvish seriously I tried to make do push backups. Unfortunately, it
doesn't work well that way, it's just not how it was designed. The
closest things I was ever able to come to that "worked" was a
remotely-initiated pull, or a "push" onto remote NFS exports mounted
locally. Neither of those solve your problem, unfortunately.

Based on my (hardly expert) experience, I'd say you may need to find
another piece of software to do your backups. One that I used happily in
the past is rdiff-backup. No idea if it will run on your NAS though.
Seems doubtful since it too uses rsync as it's low-level mechanism.

--
Quentin Hartman
Senior System Administrator
qhartman at concentricsky.com