[Dirvish] singling out crucial data

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Jun 24 05:37:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 09:43:31PM -0700, Loren M. Lang wrote:

> My primary suggestion was putting a tree in different vaults which have
> a different backup policy/schedule.  I just it easier to deal per
> partition since some partitions use ACLs or extended attributes which
> need to be enabled in dirvish.

I agree with Loren, although the multiple vault approach does
necessitate thinking about (and probably implementing) a set of
bare-metal restore scripts.  Dirvish doesn't have very good tools
for that; most backup software doesn't.  Separated vaults facilitate
restoring different segments from different backups;  for example,
if /usr has been corrupted by a failed upgrade, one can restore
from an earlier /usr and the latest /home.  This can also be done
with one big vault, of course, but it is a little easier if there
are a few smaller vaults.

Dirvish lacks a restore tool.  Restore is typically the most
time-critical and stressful part of the backup/restore cycle,
it is important to build ad hoc scripts for restore and to
test them.  With drives so cheap these days, it is a good idea
to have a spare drive for each drive type in the system, and
practice doing restores onto the spares.  That way, when a
crisis occurs and a new drive has to be built from bare metal,
the restore can be done with minimum time and effort (leaving
time for all the other simultaneous crises implied by restores).