[Dirvish] Using rsync 3x with dirvish

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Mon Jul 13 08:43:22 UTC 2009

On Sun 12 Jul 2009, JW wrote:

> All of my servers are running 2.6.x version of rsync. I understand that the
> 3.x version of rsync is faster at building the cached list.

They're not faster at building the list, but they can start transferring
files while still busy doing that, giving a net speedup.

> * Does rsync 3.x work ok with dirvish

No problem

> * Does anyone have any stats on how much of a performance gain dirvish will
> get with rsync 3x as opposed to 2.6.x

Entirely depends on your fileset. If you have 20 million files in one
directory it won't make any difference. If you have 20 million
directories with one file each it will be much faster :-)

> * What happens when you run rsync 3x on the server and rsync 2.6.x on the
> client?

It will be as if you're using 2.6.x on both ends. The protocol needs 3.x
on both ends for the incremental file transfer to work.

Paul