[Dirvish] dirvish-expire very slow

Dominik Schulz lkml at ds.gauner.org
Sat Jan 17 14:16:24 UTC 2009

Am Freitag 16 Januar 2009 01:44:28 schrieb Richard:
> Eric Searcy wrote:
> > Arjan Schrijver wrote:
> >> Hi list,
> >> Is anyone experiencing this same problem?
> >> <snip> after the backup we
> >> start dirvish-expire, which takes about 6 hours, and sometimes even up
> >> to 10 hours or more.
> >> Is this normal? It seems to me that analyzing directory names and then
> >> deleting them shouldn't take this amount of time.
> >> Can anyone explain this to me?
>
> Switching from reiserfs to ext3 gave me a BIG performance boost in
> dirvish-expire.  Reiserfs is VERY SLOW to expire files in my experience.
> (yet another reason for me to avoid using reiserfs with Dirvish)

Filesystems tend to have a very high impact when deleting huge filetrees. I
have rm often run several hours on ext3 when removing big directories. You
should try out XFS if that is faster for you since it has generally a better
performance when deleting than ext3.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards
Dominik