[Dirvish] Expiry problems

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Wed Nov 12 13:50:38 UTC 2008

On Mon 10 Nov 2008, Roberto Mello wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Fionn Behrens <fionn at spamfilter.de> wrote:
> >
> > To my surprise the change had no effect on the existing backups which
> > are not being expired according to the new rules but seem to have kept
> > their old expiry dates. How can I update the meta data to get them
> > expired?
>
> Yeah, you have to edit ${VAULT}/divish/default.hist (or whatever your
> branch is named) and change the dates for expiration.

Incorrect.
dirvish-expire looks at the date in the image's summary file to
determine whether it may be removed.

I often modify that to preserve the last image of an end-of-life server
without getting daily emails about not removing the last valid image;
dirvish-expire will refuse to remove an image if there aren't any other
valid images of the same tree still in existence.

> > And are there any simple means to "manually" remove unwanted backup
> > steps before they are due to expire without compromising the integrity
> > of the whole vault?

Simply remove the unwanted image directories in their entirety;
just be sure to leave at least one valid image so that future dirvish
runs have something to link against.

Paul