[Dirvish] documentation for 'exclude:' -or- *SUCCESS the hard way*

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Fri Nov 7 17:17:34 UTC 2008

On Fri 07 Nov 2008, Richard Geoffrion wrote:

> > Perhaps there should be a line that explicitly says there are no
> > escape/quoting mechanisms.
>
> Is that a function of the dirvish scripts then -- as opposed to an
> underlying utility such as rsync ?

Dirvish collects the excludes and puts them in a file, and tells rsync
with --exclude-from=filename to use that file. So the exclude lines are
directly passed to rsync.

Hence, how to construct your exclude rules is also covered by the rsync
manual...

> > I suppose it also means dirvish can't deal
> > with filenames that begin or end with a space or that contain an
> > embedded newline or any other fun things one might choose to do.
> >
> Oh, well.  I'll have to stop using dirvish immediately!!!  all my
> filenames begin with either spaces or dashes,  and yours should too!

:)

I used to have a file "-i" in directories with important files after an
unfortunate "rm * old" (instead of "rm *.old"), but now I use dirvish.

Kidding aside, a filename starting with a dash won't be a problem.
Excluding a filename starting with a space might be a challenge,
although I suspect this would work:

excludes:
    [ ]rest of filename

Paul