[Dirvish] Push Backups?

Richard dirvish at rain4us.net
Thu Nov 6 03:44:55 UTC 2008

Quentin Hartman wrote:
> I know Keith doesn't like them, but I prefer to have my backups run via push, rather than pull. I prefer this because I can have the backup job run as a privileged user (necessary to read all the files) locally but then connect to the backup server as a normal user. This means I don't have the potential exposure of allowing remote root-level logins on my servers, or having passwordless keys for root running around. I think this is a good thing. It makes key management a bit more secure and sane (imho).

I too feel that there is a growing validity for the argument of allowing
push backups.  SHARED DIRVISH SERVER anyone??  Also, don't forget that
Mac clients will need to push their backups to the dirvish server if all
of the resource forks are to be maintained.

As it is, NFS mounting a path from the drivish server's disk to the
local computer might be ONE way to achieve push... in a round about way.

<snip the rest>

--
Richard