[Dirvish] Does Windows rsync work with Dirvish?

Brian brian_dorling at t-online.de
Tue Mar 25 17:28:20 UTC 2008

Petcher, Daniel wrote:
> I've been trying to play with the rsync command and --rsh=rsh, (just among
> Linux servers to keep things simple at first) but I've had no luck at all.
>
> I can't even successfully do a rsh <hostname> to talk to another server. I'm
> running SlackWare Linux 11 on most of my servers. Do I have to set-up some
> sort of rsh.conf file somewhere? Do I have to open a port by un-commenting a
> line in my /etc/inetd.conf file?
>
> -dP

Well I'll really out myself here.........

I run dirvish between various machines in my local LAN, and I use no
encryption at all. Two of the machines backed up by dirvish every day
are Win XP machines and it works perfectly. The trick is the following:

Here is a default.conf from Dirvish:

client: 192.168.123.180

tree: :Dat

xdev: 0

index: gzip

image-default: %Y%m%d-%H%M

exclude:

  Cache/**

  blah..blah..

The colon ":" before Dat tells it not to use SSH.
I have no idea whether cwrsync can support rsh or not.

Cheers Brian