[Dirvish] Restoring main server drive, LVM

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Mar 25 03:22:53 UTC 2008

Well, today dirvish proved its value to me.  The main hard drive on
my mail server started throwing lots of sector errors, so I built a
replacement drive from last night's backup.  The old main drive lasted
long enough to rsync the morning's email over (including a message
from a client that owes me bunches of money, but that is another story).

One difficulty is my ignorance about building LVM partitions.  I am
running Scientific Linux 5 ( a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 clone ) on
the server, and it sets up the drives with LVM for all but the boot
partition.  The fastest way for me to set up LVM was to do a minimal
SL5 reinstall on the new drive, then scribble over the top of it
with the backup, updates and all.  When I have more time, perhaps I
will learn enough about LVM setup to add that to my restore script.

Or perhaps one of you fine folks can write up an LVM restore HOWTO
and put it on the dirvish wiki ...