[Dirvish] [Bulk] Re: Full backup every time

Doug.Hill at sonydadc.com Doug.Hill at sonydadc.com
Sat Mar 22 18:09:57 UTC 2008

Hey Gang,

I'm having a similar problem.

root at 2[deathstar]# du -csh *
51G     deathstar_03-18-2008
51G     deathstar_03-19-2008
51G     deathstar_03-20-2008
51G     deathstar_03-21-2008
12K     dirvish
204G    total

As you can see, each backup is the same size!?! Jens - did you find a
solution to your problem? I am backing up 13 servers, some debian, some
Suse, some Ubuntu. In each case, it is the same deal. This leads me to
think that it is on the drivish server side... Here is my summary file
from "deathstar" for my most recent backup.... I use
"/usr/sbin/dirvish-runall" to run my backups for all 13 servers.

client: backupuser at deathstar
tree: /
rsh: ssh
Server: deathstar
Bank: /mnt/coraid/system_backups/dirvish
vault: deathstar
branch: default
Image: deathstar_03-21-2008
Reference: deathstar_03-20-2008
Image-now: 2008-03-21 20:00:00
Expire: +10 days == 2008-03-31 20:00:00
exclude:
        *~
        .nfs*
        lost+found/
        backup/
        boot/
        dev/
        proc/
        sys/
        tmp/
        var/run/
        var/lock/
        mnt/
        home/admin/Shared/newakamaidownload/
SET permissions devices numeric-ids stats
UNSET checksum init sparse whole-file xdev zxfer

ACTION: rsync -vrltH --delete -pgo --stats -D --numeric-ids
--rsync-path="/usr/local/bin/rsync-new"
--exclude-from=/mnt/coraid/system_backups/dirvish/deathsta
r/deathstar_03-21-2008/exclude
--link-dest=/mnt/coraid/system_backups/dirvish/deathstar/deathstar_03-20-2008/tree
backupuser at deathstar:/ /mnt/coraid/system_ba
ckups/dirvish/deathstar/deathstar_03-21-2008/tree
Backup-begin: 2008-03-22 00:57:37
Backup-complete: 2008-03-22 02:18:13

I would appreciate an help on this. I am running out of space!

Thanks,
Doug

Jens Lang <jenslang at yahoo.de>
Sent by: dirvish-bounces at dirvish.org
03/21/2008 07:23 PM
Please respond to
Dirvish user and developer mailing list <dirvish at dirvish.org>

dirvish at dirvish.org
cc

Subject
Re: [Dirvish] [Bulk] Re:  Full backup every time

Keith Lofstrom schrieb:
>>> what could be the reason that dirvish make a full backup every time I
>>> start the backup? I am running the lates Ubuntu on both, client and
>>> server.
>>>
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 05:24:46PM -0400, Kenneth Lerman wrote:
>
>> It is supposed to.
>>

> Ken's reply is true, but you might want a little more information
> than that.  Dirvish uses rsync to create full and complete images.
> On the server disk, there should be a succession of complete images.
> Rsync uses unix/linux hard links to share data file information; if
> a file does not change, there may be many links to it, but it is only
> stored on the backup disk once.  Thus, a 500GB disk can store what
> appears to be hundreds of 200GB images - only the changed files and
> the directory information is added for each successive image.  For
> example, I have a 500GB backup disk with about 150 images on it,
> each apparently 200GB, and I have used only 350GB of it.  By using
> the "branch" feature of dirvish, files that are identical on many
> different machines can also share data space.

Yes, I know that it is supposed to do a full backup every time. Maybe my
wording was not exact. On my system it transfers the whole directory
every time (e. g. a large photo collection). These files never change.
And, of course, they use disk space on the backup disk.
> This is true in the ideal case.  In reality, big files with little
> changes ( rotating-name logs, mbox mail folders, vmware images)
> will chew up disk pretty fast.  Use "dateext" for logrotate,
> Maildir format for mail repositories, and samba links to linux
> filespace from smaller vmware images to minimize the big file
> changes getting backed up.  Use dirvish-expire to manage storage.
> And look on the mailing list archives, the wiki, and the many
> FAQs and writeups created by other dirvish users for more hints.
>
> If after doing all these things, dirvish is creating huge images
> and not using hardlinks, filling up your backup disk too fast, there
> may be other problems.  The helpful people on this list can help
> after you have made an effort characterize your problem.
The thing is that I have no idea how to find the cause. With another
computer it runs absolutely fine. I even don't know whether to search on
the client or on the server side.

The file system (for the backup) is ext3. I checked the size of the
directory with du?all backups have nearly 40 gb (except those who have
been interrupted). The remaining disk size (checked with df) decreases
by the same amount. I did not check the inode numbers, but I think the
decreasing disk size is proof enough.

On my client I am running a normal rsync server (version 2.6.9). The
server has enough rights to access the files.

I suppose that it for some reason thinks the file has changed although
it hasn't. But why? The file size and the date doesn't change.

Jens