[Dirvish] Excessively Long backups on a Postfix Mailder vault with Dovecot as the IMAP server

Kenneth Lerman Kenneth.Lerman at se-ltd.com
Wed Mar 19 18:21:29 UTC 2008

The standard log rotate takes files:

log gets renamed to log.1
log.1 gets renamed to log.2
log.2 gets renamed to log.3
log.n-1 gets renamed to log.n
log.n gets deleted.

Renaming is very bad for dirvish because it doesn't know about it. So every
time the logs are rotated, you will get a new copy of each instead of just a
link.

The dateext option to logrotate will do:
log gets renamed to log.20080320
log.20080319 gets kept
log.20080218 gets kept
log.2008?? gets deleted
(I'm not sure if this is the exact date format.)

That mean links can be used and the only new files will be the ones for the
current dates.

Ken