[Dirvish] Is this a dumb idea? rsync without ssh

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Mar 5 22:08:51 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 10:55:10PM +0100, Paul Slootman wrote:
> Quoting from the dirvish.conf manpage:
>
>        tree: path [alias] (S)
>               Specify a directory path on the client to backup.
>
>               If path is prefixed with a colon the transfer will be done  from
>               an  rsync  daemon  on  the client otherwise the transfer will be
>               done through a remote shell process.

I think Daniel is using raw rsync, without dirvish, for moving
between machines.  That is sensible, given that he is copying
raw data.

However, may I suggest putting a swap cage in the old machine (if
there is a slot available, a big if) or putting an E-SATA card
in the old machine along with a trustworthy SATA to PATA adapter
if necessary?  A direct drive-to-drive copy will be faster than
the network, encrypted or not.

Daniel, Audio Precision is not far from me;  I probably have some
unused swap cages if you want to borrow them for a while.