[Dirvish] Is this a dumb idea? rsync without ssh

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Wed Mar 5 19:45:12 UTC 2008

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008, Petcher, Daniel wrote:

> I'm working on moving my dirvish server onto some new equipment and
> re-organizing the archive, so I've got a few TB of data to move. When I
> rsync from the old server to the new server, the data goes over a SSH
> conduit. I'd like to move the data faster since I know it's entirely
> contained within my trusted network. How do I turn-off the ssh
> encryption tunnel?

You might want to try telling SSH not to encrypt, with "-e none".  You
could also try http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/ .

Maybe you could set up rsh or something, but I think the above will
probably be easier and saner.

-- Asheesh.

--
GIVE:	Support the helpless victims of computer error.