[Dirvish] Backup dies with out a trace

Richard Geoffrion dirvish at rain4us.net
Wed Mar 5 15:13:09 UTC 2008

Michael Kindermann wrote:
> <snip>
> some times the backup crashes the server horrably. The server
> simply stops with an arbitrary kerneloops, which only could be seen on
> the console. You have cold reboot.

I experienced similar problems once.  I had THREE different problems
that caused the SAME symptoms.

1) a corrupt reiserfs volume CAN lock up your server.  For this reason,
I no longer use reiserfs--especially for Dirvish.

2) a swap partition  existed on a drive that had failed[*].  Losing that
swap space corrupted memory and sent the server down.

3) a drive associated with a dirvish bank went south and took out the
server (presumably because the reiserfs got corrupt -- another reason
why I don't use reiserfs)

[*]Note to self, when using software RAID1, raid the swap partition too!  :)

--
Richard