[Dirvish] Backup dies with out a trace

Michael Kindermann michael.kindermann at handy-games.com
Mon Mar 3 15:31:39 UTC 2008

Hello,

we are using dirvish nearly two years. It does it's job very well for
weeks. But some times the backup crashes the server horrably. The server
simply stops with an arbitrary kerneloops, which only could be seen on
the console. You have cold reboot.

There are no messages in the logfiles, realy no hint. The logfile simply
stops and start with the reboot. We also tried different hardware. I
asume there is no hardware related problem. The distribution is  debian
(sarge, keeps on with sid and at least lenny). The machine only does
dirvish-backups.

The machine backup on iscsi-devices. Are there some known problems with
this kind of devices? (open-iscsi)
The machine backup from cifs-mounts, a 1 TB filesystems. My feeling is
that rsync has a problem with this, but only sometimes.

Are you expirienced something similar?

Hardware:
2 x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
MB Tyan S5102G3NR