[Dirvish] rsync command being called twice in one take

Jenny Hopkins hopkins.jenny at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 08:58:03 UTC 2008

2008/7/18 Dave Howorth <dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk>:
> Jenny Hopkins wrote:
>> Hullo there,
>>
>> I'm trying to find out why dirvish is running the rsync call twice in one take?

> Hmm, my crystal ball is a little fuzzy this morning ...
>
> Perhaps if you posted the content of the logs, configs etc it might
> clear a little.
>
> Also you haven't said whether this problem has been there all along or
> has just emerged (BTW, if the latter, *something* has changed. Try to
> think what it might be)

Hi Dave,

Sorry for delay in reply to this.

It turns out my problem was nothing to do with the rsync appearing to
run twice.
Your surmise that something had changed was correct.  When there was a
problem with the debian ssh keys last month, the admin of the server I
back up disallowed root access, so I altered the backup to run as a
different user, and changed file ownerships and permissions on the
backup server accordingly.

The dirvish history file escaped the ownership change and the user
running the dirvish backup was unable to write to the file.  This
meant that every night the backup was using a static image rather than
the incremetal one from the day before, and was trying to back up more
and more every day.

Kick up the backside to me for not noticing, but it's run smoothly for
several years now.  It took my broadband connection creaking and
groaning at the seams to make me notice.

All running smoothly again now.

Thanks for your reply, Dave.

Jenny