[Dirvish] Include only 1 folder

Richard Geoffrion dirvish at rain4us.net
Fri Feb 8 23:32:28 UTC 2008

Red Mop wrote:
> On Friday 08 February 2008 09:22:52 am Red Mop wrote:
>
>> On Friday 08 February 2008 08:54:04 am Jarkko Ypäjä wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> How can I exclude all the other foldrs in the system and include only 1?
>>> <snip>
>> Instead of trying to exclude all and include one, you can just have it back
>> up the one folder.  <snip>
>>

> I suppose there is a reason to do exclude all, include 1.  Say you're backing
> up a rather large, though unchanging server over a slow link.  Running init
> would take forever, so you can init with just one directory, then slowly
> either add includes or remove excludes during the nightly backups.  This is
> similar to a trick I learned from unison.
rsync doesn't lend itself to includes very well.   It is usually
recommended to try to come up with another solution.   Encourage those
wanting to do includes to think outside the box.

I do seem to remember something coming across the list about making
includes more friendly.....hmm..

Jarkko,
Try
http://www.dirvish.org/pipermail/dirvish/2007-April/thread.html#1271