[Dirvish] Multiple /etc/dirvish/master.conf and bank definition

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 7 09:17:30 UTC 2007

Eric Searcy wrote:
> Next, dirvish-runall doesn't even need to know the bank setup.  The only
> configuration this script looks at is `Dirvish:' (the path to dirvish)
> and the `Runall:' block.  So, you don't need the redundant bank
> declarations, just specify them (and all your expire rules, etc) in
> master.conf, and only put the `Runall:' block in host{n}-master.conf.

Ah, thanks for that insight. I knew that I needed all the banks in the
master conf, but I hadn't realized that the sub-confs were such
different beasts. So the sub-confs are basically a single entry:

Runall:
	my-unique-vault-name

Definitely quirky though now relatively elegant but that's what I've
come to expect from dirvish. Maybe I'll rename my sub-confs with a
different extension to remind me!

Paul Slootman wrote:
> on alternating days I want dirvish to backup to either one or the
> other partition). I worked around it by symlinking master-0.conf or
> master-1.conf to master.conf before starting the dirvish-runall...

You can have two config files like this:

runall-0.conf
=============
Runall:
	bank-0-vault-0
	bank-0-vault-1
	etc

runall-1.conf
Runall:
	bank-1-vault-0
	bank-1-vault-1
	etc

On even days: dirvish-runall --config runall-0.conf
On odd days:  dirvish-runall --config runall-1.conf

But perhaps symlinking is just as easy, or easier!

Cheers, Dave