[Dirvish] implementing new dirvish features

Roberto Mello roberto.mello at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 16:26:31 UTC 2007

On Nov 15, 2007 7:13 AM, Roberto Mello <roberto.mello at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since we're talking about new features, here are some I wish Dirvish had:
>
> 1) I'd like a place within each vault where to store pre/post scripts,
> so that every vault is self-contained. I'd like the client scripts to
> be stored there too, for the same reason. That way I don't have to
> depend on having a script stored on the client. I even tried a
> solution that's on the Wiki, but it never worked for me.
>
> 2) dirvish-expire takes a --config too

I failed to mention something I've really needed: some hooks into
dirvish-expire, like the pre/post-server hooks in dirvish.

While backing up my databases, I have a post-server script that ships
them to a remote sftp-only account. When dirvish-expire runs and
expires some images from the local bank, I'd like to have a hook that
made it call a script with environment variables giving me the image
it's expiring, so I could remove them from my sftp account.

I could wrap dirvish-expire and parse its output, but wouldn't it be
more elegant if it had a feature like what I described?

-Roberto