[Dirvish] implementing new dirvish features

Eric Searcy emsearcy at osuosl.org
Sat Nov 17 17:11:14 UTC 2007

On Nov 14, 2007, at 10:17 PM, Jacki wrote:
[...]
> ########################################
> # dirvish-runall runs dirvish parallel #
> ########################################
>
> #current state#
> dirvish-runall process all vaults like listed in master.conf under
> "runall:". this not fine, if you backup over a speed-limited and
> not so reliable connection. a "big" backup in the middle of the
> list blocks "small" backups at the end. especially if the
> connection is lost.
>
> #target state#
> all vaults within the "runall"-list are processed parallel, the
> maximum number of processes can be limited by an option in
> master.conf. for instance "runall-parallel: 3"
> with "runall-parallel: 1" its the same like before
> with "runall-parallel: 5" five vaults are backuped parallel at
> maximum, and if there are two "big" ones - no problem
> with "runall-parallel: -1" every "dirvish" command gets its own
> process
>
> #implementation#
> should be no problem with the perl "fork" and "wait" functions
> the "mail" generation could also be done - but sorting is an issue!
>
> "runall-parallel: 1" should stay default for backward compatibility

Hi Jacki,

I submitted a patch for comments to the mailing list several months
ago for this.  If you'd like to check it out I'd appreciate any
comments; I didn't get any comments on it before.  The only
suggestion in your above `target' that I didn't do in the patch was
the `-1' parallel setting, though this would be easy to add.

http://www.dirvish.org/pipermail/dirvish/2007-September/001467.html

Also, since it seems you've thought about this a bit, I'm curious why
you think this should use fork/wait -- this is the same method I
used, but I'm curious about advantages/disadvantages to perl
threads.  My only reason for using fork/wait was because my distro
didn't compile in threads support in perl by default, so I went with
a method that would work best on my platform.

--
Eric Searcy
OSU Open Source Lab