[Dirvish] implementing new dirvish features

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 15 17:21:00 UTC 2007

Richard Geoffrion wrote:
> Dave Howorth wrote:
>>> I implement this through passing different --config parameters to
>>> dirvish-runall.
>>>
>>> dirvish-expire however, has no such option, so I end up calling
>>> dirvish-expire on all the vaults in a bank, even though I really don't
>>> want to.
>>>
>> Why does it matter if dirvish-expire scans some extra vaults? I don't
>> think it takes long if there's nothing to expire.
>>
> Because sometimes one does not WANT to expire everything....just the
> vaults in ONE bank.

I'm not set against the concept, just trying to understand the use case,
because if there's a way to solve it that doesn't involve modifying
dirvish, it's likely to be easier.

> I too have used the command
>
>   cd {BANK}; for X in * ; do dirvish-expire --vault $X ; done
>
> QUITE frequently.
>
> Now, if your argument is that one should be using expire rules, then
> consider the situation where one is adjusting said expire rules and
> needs to kick off an 'out-of-band' expire on JUST the vaults in the bank
> where the expire rules have been changed.

In this situation:
 - for the vaults that have been changed:
      you do want to run it

 - for the vaults that have not been changed:
      there's nothing new to expire so it will ignore them quickly

So I still don't understand the use case. Or am I missing something?

> It would be nice to be able to specify a particular bank to expire.

Cheers, Dave